River

Written By: Ben Kaufmann
Appears on: Mountain Tracks Vol. 4
 
G
        Rivers rolls and
Em
        River winds
           C                  G                         D
And it seems to do something for my piece of mind
G                                                              Em
   Though I didn’t know it, I came here lookin’ to find
   C           G                         D
A place to forget about my troubles for awhile
                                                                           C
I saw a mother with her little baby while I was walking here
         D                                 G                         C
Yeah somethin’ ‘bout a little baby makes me laugh
D                             G                          C                                                              D
They don’t seem to have a care and I wonder if I’m ever gonna feel that way again
                                     C           D                           G
Till then, I’ll find some time to spend down by the river


I spent a lot of time lookin’ forward
Lookin’ back and lookin’ down at my feet upon the ground
I fell backwards and when I opened my eyes
I found myself staring straight up in the sky
And it seemed like there was somethin’ there to learn
When I realized I had nowhere else to be
And the only sound that mattered was the wind that blowed so gentle through the trees
Such a harmony down by the river

I heard music it was soft and clear
And I sang out for the first time, I didn’t care who would hear
Because I found my answers in the wind and waves
And the magic in the little things that happen everyday
And I played that tune on my old mandolin
And I didn’t hurt at all for company
‘cause the river likes to sing along and it knows the words to every song I play
Such a lovely day down by the river

           C         D
Such a lovely day……

C  G